Breast augmentation or breast enlargement is one of the most common and prevalent plastic surgeries among women. This procedure is done to make breasts bigger and fuller by placing breast implants (usually saline or silicone gel) under the breast tissue or chest muscle. There are a variety of reasons why women undergo this procedure. Some do it for reconstructive purposes, like women who went through a mastectomy for breast cancer, while some do it for cosmetic purposes. Statistics would show that the latter is a more popular reason for doing it.
A study, posted in the publication of Plastic Surgery Nursing in 2007, found out that women who have had their breasts augmented or enlarged are more confident about themselves – as having larger breasts boost their self-esteem. Also, they feel sexier and more attractive, thus carry themselves better around other people.
This procedure is generally patronized by women with an age range of 20-35 years old. This information does not come as a surprise since this age range is usually the one’s concern with beauty and are also the ones looking for potential partners.
Why do women decide to undergo breast augmentation surgery in Singapore?
- They have a small cup size. Some women do not have big breasts and are even coined by the term “flat-chested”. It affects their confidence and how they carry themselves.
- They have saggy and loose skin after losing weight. Losing weight can result in saggy and loose skin which includes the breasts. Breast implants will help those who lost a lot of fats around their breast area have a fuller breast.
- Pregnancy has changed the appearance of their breasts. Pregnancy will bring a lot of changes for a woman in all aspects of her life, most especially in her physical appearance. After pregnancy, a woman’s breast will get smaller; it will droop, and it will lose its volume. Women who undergo breast augmentation in Singapore after pregnancy usually would just like to uplift their spirits and just want to love their body again.
- They have disproportioned breasts. Though most parts of our body that come in pairs (e.g. eyebrows, eyes) are naturally uneven and disproportioned, there are some women who have very noticeable asymmetrical breasts. For this reason, women would want to have their breasts balanced and be of the same size.
If you are one of those thinking of having your breast augmented for cosmetic reasons, this article will help you have an informed decision by answering these three (3) questions:
- How is the procedure done?
- What are the risks of this procedure?
- What are the realistic results of this procedure?
How is breast augmentation in Singapore done?
This procedure should only be done by licensed plastic surgeons, say experts at Allure. It is important that you choose a plastic surgeon who has a good reputation in this field and who already has a lot of experience. Though there is no guarantee that no problems will be encountered, having a good surgeon will lessen the risk of any unfavourable results.
Preparation for the Procedure
Here is what we were told about the process. You will first be required to have a medical consultation and evaluation with your chosen surgeon where he/she will ask you about your reasons for doing so, your desired outcome, and, importantly your medical history. He/she might make you go through a series of test and examination to determine your overall health condition. He/she will also discuss with you the risks of proceeding with the surgery. He/she will prepare you mentally, physically, and emotionally for the procedure.
Once everything is settled, he/she will schedule you for the surgery proper, which can be on an outpatient basis or you can stay overnight at the clinic or hospital. This will be entirely dependent on which you will be more comfortable with.
Anaesthesia will be administered so you will be asleep during the whole procedure and no pain will be felt. When the anaesthesia finally kicks in, the surgeon will make marks around your breast as a guide for the procedure. Incisions will then be created to the areas marked, which can be under the breast or around the nipples (depends on the needs of the patient), where the implants will be inserted. The surgeon will carefully make adjustments if there are any needed so that the implants are in place as desired. Once done, he/she will close the incision by sutures or surgical tape.
The procedure will take around one (1) to two (2) hours.
It is advisable that someone will fetch or accompany you home after the surgery as it will be difficult for you to move around, let alone to drive. Swelling and moderate pain will be experienced but it is just temporary, at most in two (2) weeks it will subside.
Your surgeon might give you some prescribed medications to help relieve the pain. It is also recommended to wear a sports bra for extra protection. The most important aftercare is to follow the surgeon’s instruction.
What are the risks of this procedure?
Just because a procedure is popular, it does not mean that they won’t have any risks or complications. It should be expected that all surgical procedure will have them. For breast augmentation, here is a list you should look out for:
- Moderate pain in the breast area will be experienced.
- There will be some changes in the sensation of your nipples and breast.
- You might develop an infection.
- Scar tissues may form and harden around the breast area.
- There is a possibility of visible scarring in the area where the incision was created.
- The implant used can leak or get raptured.
- The rare possibility of acquiring Associated Anaplastic Large-Cel Lymphoma (AALCL), a type of cancer of the immune system (Implants has been associated increasing the risk of getting AALCL among women)
- If any of these are experienced, it is best to revisit or call your doctor. He/she might require another operation (remove or replace the implants) to mitigate and correct these complications.
What are the realistic results of breast augmentation?
You should be able to set a realistic expectation of the surgery so you could ready yourself to changes you will have to face after the surgery. Here are a few realistic results after a breast augmentation in Singapore has been performed:
- The size of your breast will change. Regardless if it met your desired size, your breast will noticeably be bigger.
- Swelling is one of the most common side effects. This should subside after a week or two post-surgery.
- You will have to take some time of your work and will have to refrain from doing your normal activities especially if it requires physical effort.
- After the recovery period, your confidence and your self-esteem will be boosted.
- Breast implants are not permanent. Factors such as ageing and losing weight can affect your breasts and the implants inserted in it.
The decision to have your breast augmented for cosmetic purposes should definitely be a personal choice. Breast augmentation will yield a life-changing result as it can improve how you look at yourself and how others see you. So make sure that you have chosen a very good plastic surgeon. However, if you will choose to proceed with the procedure, you should be ready for the different risks and complications you might face. At the same time, you should also set realistic expectations so that you will not be left disheartened and dissatisfied. For additional information feel free to book a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon like Dr Samuel Ho from Allure Plastic Surgery, contact information below for your convenience.
Address: 435 Orchard Rd, #22-04 Wisma Atria, Singapore 238877
Phone: +65 6734 9988