PicoSure laser at Ozhean Zoey Medical & Aesthetic Clinic is an aesthetic laser treatment that uses ultra-short bursts of energy to break up pigment, and textural irregularities on the skin among other skin conditions. It also goes by the name picosecond laser treatment.
PicoSure is similar to another popular cosmetic laser treatment called Fraxel, which uses deep exfoliation to rejuvenate skin. While Fraxel works well for treating wrinkles and acne scars, PicoSure has a competitive edge by utilizing fast burst pulses to stimulate collagen production with fewer potential side effects than traditional lasers do.
Traditional dermal lasers use continuous radiofrequency (RF) energy which places tension on cells until they bond together or die through apoptosis or cellular suicide. This is a slow process that often results in side effects such as swelling and redness which may last for several days after the treatment.
PicoSure, on the other hand, uses microsecond pulsed energy to stimulate collagen without causing cell damage or apoptosis. The micro pulses are so short they measure a thousand times faster than a single RF cycle which also makes PicoSure more effective at treating a broader range of skin conditions.
Fraxel has been used only for resurfacing, whereas PicoSure is being employed by dermatologists and plastic surgeons for resurfacing, tightening, and rejuvenating purposes. In fact, some doctors report better results with PicoSure on wrinkles than Fraxel because even though it takes longer to work on wrinkles, it also breaks up deeper lines that other lasers cannot reach.
PicoSure’s short pulse widths mean a more significant number of skin treatments per session with less discomfort and downtime for the patient. In terms of side effects, there is less swelling and bruising associated with PicoSure compared to traditional laser resurfacing or Fraxel.
However, post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) is common after PicoSure because it works on brown spots. It can take several days for PIH symptoms to resolve. Hence, doctors who offer this procedure recommend starting a daily regimen of hydroquinone before the procedure to reduce the risk of PIH.
PicoSure may be a good choice for patients with acne scars, pores, and wrinkles that cannot take oral isotretinoin. It may also be a good option for some vascular irregularities.
PicoSure’s benefits include:
- Improved skin tone and texture: You will have a more even skin tone after several treatments. If you had wrinkles, their appearance on your skin will also reduce significantly.
- It is effective for all skin types: PicoSure can be used on any skin with few side effects because it is so short. It works well on darker and tanned skin as well, which is why some doctors recommend combining this procedure with the Fraxel restore laser treatment.
- No downtime: You do not need anesthesia or sedation during the procedure and you can return to your usual daily activities immediately after treatment without bandages, splints, or dressings. Some patients report mild redness and swelling, but most find they can cover these symptoms easily with makeup.
- Shorter treatment times: The average PicoSure treatment takes 15 minutes from start to finish. Most dermatologists recommend 2-4 sessions for best results, spaced 4-8 weeks apart.
The main downside of this laser is that some patients develop post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH), which can last several months after the procedure. This is why many doctors prefer combining PicoSure with a daily hydroquinone regimen before and after the treatment. However, on the upside, PIH does not usually require a prescription or medical intervention because it will resolve itself naturally as your body metabolizes melanin pigment from your skin cells.
What should you avoid doing after PicoSure?
PicoSure in Singapore is a very safe laser. However, it is still a laser, and thus, some precautions should be taken after treatment to reduce the risk of side effects.
The most common side effect of PicoSure is post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) which can make skin more sensitive to light for months after the procedure. To reduce the risk of PIH, patients should avoid:
- Sun exposure and tanning beds: Exposure to sunlight after treatment can increase PIH risk.
- Scrubs, Retinoids, or Alpha Hydroxy Acids at least two weeks before treatment: Using these products on skin that has just been laser-treated can burn the skin and cause severe inflammation.
- Elective procedures like waxing, microdermabrasion, lasers, or chemical peels within six months of PicoSure laser in Singapore: Patients should avoid any cosmetic treatments for about six months after PicoSure to allow their skin time to heal fully before undergoing even very gentle procedures like waxing.
- Heat exposure (sauna, hot tub): Very hot baths, saunas, and Jacuzzis should also be avoided if possible because heat can trigger hyperpigmentation in some cases.
- Wearing tight-fitting hats or headgear for long periods. Also, avoid wearing anything that causes friction with your skin. As always, consult a dermatologist before undergoing any laser procedure to determine eligibility.
You may be a good candidate for PicoSure laser if;
- You are looking forward to reducing the number of treatments required for tattoo removal
- You are looking forward to reducing the risk of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIH) that can result after some types of laser treatment.
You may not be a good candidate for PicoSure if;
- You have had surgical procedures on your face within six months, which can cause inflammation around sutures resulting in discoloration.
- You have any pre-existing medical conditions like lupus or porphyria, which increases the risk of PIH.
If you have any skin conditions, please consult a dermatologist or just be sure to let your dermatologist know before undergoing this procedure to determine eligibility.
How long does it take to see Results from PicoSure Laser?
PicoSure laser in Singapore is a painless procedure that requires no anesthesia. It usually takes around 10 minutes to perform on the face and 15 minutes for other parts of the body.
In terms of results, PicoSure works best to remove brown spots caused by sun exposure, acne scars, and fine lines/wrinkles/age spots. Results can take several weeks or months depending on the extent of damage.
The Bottom Line
PicoSure is an excellent choice for patients with tattoos, age spots, and fine lines looking to reduce the number of treatments required while maintaining good results. However, there are many nuances that can affect your individual results, so call us today or book a free consultation through our website if you want personalized advice from one of our board-certified dermatologists in Somerset Rd, #04-10 Triple One Somerset, Singapore 238164!
Ozhean Zoey Medical & Aesthetic Clinic – Fat Freeze, Acne, Acne Scar Removal, Pico Laser Singapore
111 Somerset Rd, 04-10 Triple One Somerset, Singapore 238164